2013 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class
Click Here To View 2012 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Information
The CL-Class is available as a CL550 with a V-12-powered CL600, and as two AMG® high-performance variants. With seating for four, the CL-Class competes with the Bentley Continental GT.
New for 2013
A new Grand Edition Package is available on all CL-Class models for 2013, giving buyers the chance to choose from three package-specific paint colors and three package-specific interiors. The package also includes 20-inch wheels, unique badging and AMG® styling.
The CL-Class measures a whopping 200 inches long, making it as long as some full-size SUVs. Exterior features include:
- Dual stainless steel exhaust with chrome tailpipe finish
- Standard power moonroof
- 18-inch wheels standard, 19- and 20-inch optional
- Bi-xenon headlights include washers
- AMG® Sport Package with front/rear aprons, side skirts and 20-inch wheels
- Power-closing trunk lid
CL-Class coupes accommodate up to four occupants and have bucket-like rear seats. The power-adjustable front seats feature standard heating and ventilation, while active massaging is optional. Interior features include:
- Standard mbrace2™ communication system and COMAND® multimedia system
- Standard 600-watt 11 speaker harman/kardon® Logic 7® stereo
- Optional heated-steering wheel
- Optional Splitview front-seat entertainment system
- Available backup camera
Under the Hood
Typical of Mercedes-Benz, the CL-Class maintains a rich powertrain selection for 2013. Mechanical features include:
- CL550 4MATIC® has a 429-horsepower, twin-turbo 4.6-liter V-8 with 516 pounds-feet of torque
- CL600 has a 510-hp, twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-12 with 612 pounds-feet of torque
- CL63 AMG® has a 536-hp, twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8 with 590 pounds-feet of torque and stop/start technology. (An optional Performance Package brings power figures up to 563 horsepower and 664 pounds-feet of torque.)
- CL65 AMG® has a 621-hp, twin-turbo 6.0-liter V-12
- Five- or seven-speed automatic transmission
- 4MATIC® all-wheel drive available
- Parking Guidance, which assists in parallel-parking maneuvers, is optional with adaptive cruise control
Safety features include:
- Side-impact airbags for both rows of seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Automated collision-mitigation braking system prepares car for impending impact
- Optional adaptive cruise control adjusts speed automatically to maintain a preset following distance
- Optional blind spot warning system available with adaptive cruise control
- Standard ATTENTION ASSIST® system notifies drivers when they need a break, based on behavioral changes
2012 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe
The 2012 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class is a large, four-passenger coupe available in four trims that correspond with engine size: CL550 Coupe and CL600 Coupe.
As always, the CL-Class is essentially the two-door version of the S-Class sedan. That means it shares its platform, engines and exquisite interior. Stylistically, though, the coupe differs with unique exterior design, long doors, a dramatically sloping greenhouse and B-pillar-less side windows. The whole look was also reworked last year to add a welcome hint of aggression.
Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options
Standard equipment on the CL550 Coupe includes 18-inch wheels, adaptive air suspension, active bi-xenon headlights, LED running lights, a sunroof, a power rear window sunshade, keyless ignition/entry, a power trunk closer and front and rear parking sensors. Inside, you get leather upholstery and trim, heated and ventilated 10-way power front seats with four-way adjustable lumbar, front seat memory functions, ambient lighting, Bluetooth®, Mercedes-Benz mbrace® emergency telematics, the COMAND® electronics interface, a navigation system, voice controls and an 11-speaker harman/kardon® Logic 7® surround-sound audio system with a six-CD/DVD changer, HD radio, satellite radio and an iPod interface.
The Premium 2 package adds a rearview camera, infrared night vision display and front seats with massage and active bolsters. The Driver Assistance package adds adaptive cruise control, crash detection and an automated braking system, a blind-spot warning system and a lane-departure warning system. The Sport package adds 19-inch AMG® wheels and sport body styling. The Sport Package Plus One adds 20-inch AMG® wheels, high-performance tires and the sport body styling.
The CL600 Coupe includes the Premium 2 and Driver Assistance packages, plus a V12 engine, 19-inch wheels, Active Body Control, a heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated eight-way power rear seats and a faux-suede headliner.
Powertrains and Performance
The 2012 Mercedes-Benz CL550 Coupe is powered by a 4.7-liter twin-turbo V8 that produces 429 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. A seven-speed automatic is standard. The CL550 Coupe is the only member of the CL-Class to have 4MATIC® all-wheel drive as an option -- the rest send their power to the rear wheels. In Edmunds performance testing, the CL550 Coupe went from zero to 60 mph in an impressive 4.6 seconds. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 15 mpg city/23 mpg highway and 18 mpg combined.
The CL600 Coupe gets a 5.5-liter twin-turbo V12 that produces 510 hp and 612 lb-ft of torque. An older five-speed automatic is needed to handle all that torque. Mercedes-Benz estimates that it will hit 60 in 4.5 seconds. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 12/18/14.
Standard safety equipment includes stability and traction control, antilock brakes with brake drying, active front head restraints, front and rear side airbags, side curtain airbags, a driver knee airbag and Mercedes-Benz mbrace® emergency telematics.
Optional on the CL550 Coupe, but standard on the CL600 Coupe, are a rearview camera, infrared night vision display, a pre-crash detection and automated braking system, a blind-spot warning system and a lane-departure warning system.
Interior Design and Special Features
The CL-Class boasts essentially the same elegant, luxurious cabin layout as the S-Class sedan. The supple materials, rich leather and gleaming polished wood are of the highest quality, and fit and finish is superb. Although the doors are large and heavy, they open easily and close tightly thanks to a power-operated closing assist feature. We also can't say enough about the lack of a B-pillar, which creates a sense of interior openness that very few cars with a fixed roof can match.
A wide range of steering wheel and seat adjustments, plus heated, ventilated and (optional) massaging front seats combine to make trips of any length comfortable in a variety of climes. The rear seats provide a fair amount of room for passengers, while in CL600 Coupe model they offer eight-way adjustment, heating and ventilation. Trunk capacity measures 13.5 cubic feet, which is more than enough for weekend bags and golf clubs.