2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Click Here To View 2013 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Information
Click Here To View 2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Information
It's time to play follow the leader. Again.
The product of blue-sky thinking and painstaking execution, the 2014 S-Class arrives this fall to reset benchmarks in sophistication, comfort, safety, and performance industry-wide.
Smarter support for safer driving
Imagine a complex network of radar, ultrasonic and infrared-enabled systems and sensors — scanning the road at all times from all angles — to maximize your safety and convenience. Now you've grasped the power of Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive, which features significant enhancements in the 2014 S-Class.
- First-of-its kind MAGIC BODY CONTROL suspension that can detect bumps and unevenness on the road ahead and proactively adjust to the appropriate suspension settings.
- PRE-SAFE® PLUS, Brake and Impulse can provide a host of anticipatory front and rear occupant protection measures.
- DISTRONIC PLUS® adaptive cruise control with Steering Assist can automatically adjust speed and lane position.
- Brake Assist System BAS® PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist can detect and prepare for a potential collision from either side of an intersection.
- Stereoscopic camera can warn the driver of potential dangers faster than any other system in the world.
The infinitely complex, made beautifully simple.
With more than 30 million unique lines of programming in its multimedia system alone, paradigm-shifting innovation courses through the 2014 S-Class, making yours the most intuitive, entertaining and connected drive on the road.
- Radically redesigned driver display composed of two 12.3-inch high-resolution screens
- World's first genuine multiuser media system with independent access to video, radio, DVD player and entertainment stored in USB-connected devices
- Powerfully expressive Burmester sound with innovative Frontbass system literally built into vehicle frame
- Surround View System for 360 degrees of vision
Expanding the very definition of comfort
Step into a uniquely visceral environment seemingly cast from a single mold. One which soothes, energizes and refreshes you in ways you never thought possible inside an automobile.
- Multi-contour seats offering unprecedented customization and available Hot Stone Massage
- 100% LED ambient lighting with glowing headliner
- Available rapid seat and steering wheel heating
- Available Air Balance Package featuring filtration, ionization and fragrance diffusion
- Luxury segment's largest rear backrest recline angle
the Mercedes-Benz flagship S-Class full-size sedan seats five in two luxurious rows. A number of different powerful engines are available, as are high-performance AMG® editions. Two more fuel-efficient S-Class variants are also available: the S350 BlueTEC® 4MATIC® diesel and the S400 Hybrid. The S-Class shares luxury-sedan real estate with competitors like the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series and Bentley Continental Flying Spur.
New for 2013
For the 2013 model year, the S350 BlueTEC® 4MATIC®, S400 Hybrid and S550 models get the Premium 2 option package as standard. It includes parking assistance, a backup camera, KEYLESS-GO® with push-button start and massaging front seats with adjustable comfort head restraints.
The S-Class receives no major styling changes for 2013. Exterior features include:
- S400 Hybrid has 18-inch 10-spoke wheels
- S63 AMG® has 20-inch twin five-spoke wheels
- Standard bi-xenon headlamps
- Standard LED daytime running lights and taillamps
- Available panoramic sunroof
Chrome and wood accents adorn the inside of the S-Class, which has room for up to five people. As opposed to a console-located gearshift, the driver selects Park, Drive and Reverse via a stalk on the right side of the steering column. Parktronic parking assist and a backup camera are standard on select models. Drivers who wish to manually control the automatic transmission can use shift paddles on the steering wheel. Interior features include:
- COMAND® system with 7-inch dash screen and center-console control knob
- Split-view dashboard screen can show different content at same time for driver and passenger
- Standard heated and ventilated front seats, optional massaging
- Available power-adjustable rear seats with heating and ventilation
- Available premium stereo
- Available rear entertainment system
Under the Hood
In addition to the hybrid V-6 and diesel V-6, available engines include two V-8s and two V-12s, all of which team with automatic transmissions. Mechanical features include:
- S400 Hybrid has a 3.5-liter V-6 and a seven-speed automatic with a total system output of 295 hp
- S350 has a 240-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V-6 and a seven-speed automatic
- S550 features a new 429-hp, 4.6-liter direct-injection V-8 and drives a seven-speed automatic
- S600 powered by a 510-hp, twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-12 and features a five-speed automatic
- S63 AMG® has a twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8 that makes 536 hp, works with a seven-speed automatic and includes a start/stop feature (optional Performance Package increases output to 563 hp)
- S65 AMG® uses a 621-hp, twin-turbo 6.0-liter V-12 and a five-speed automatic
Safety features include the Mercedes-Benz PRE-SAFE® system, which can tighten the front seat belts, close the sunroof and side windows, and adjust passenger seats for optimal safety when the system senses an impending collision. The S-Class can also get DISTRONIC PLUS® adaptive cruise control and PRE-SAFE® Brake. PRE-SAFE® Brake works in conjunction with DISTRONIC PLUS® radar signals and can slow the car automatically to lessen the severity of a collision. Other safety features include:
- Side curtain airbags, front and rear side-impact airbags
- Active front head restraints
- Electronic stability system
- Optional lane departure warning system and driver-drowsiness monitor
- Optional infrared night-vision system projects black-and-white video image on instrument cluster display
- Available active body control with crosswind stabilization
2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
With iconic design, groundbreaking innovation and a legacy of leadership, the 2012 S-Class continues to foretell what other automobiles might someday be, and what we'll treasure from today.
Behind its iconic chrome grille, every generation of S-Class has shaped the future of the automobile with groundbreaking engineering, from fuel injection in the 1950s to the first active cruise control. It's also sculpted the future of its design, with advanced aerodynamics, elegantly purposeful details, and an irresistible blend of confidence, character and charisma.
Abundant luxury need not preclude a driver from enjoying athletic performance. The two optional Sport Packages offer compelling proof, and visible evidence of the agility within every S-Class. Both feature legendary AMG® alloy wheels in a striking new 19-inch triple 5-spoke design or a 20-inch 5-spoke design, set off by aggressively sculpted lower bodywork encircling the car and hugging the road.
Exactingly top-stitched leather is carefully selected for uniformity of grain and color and fitted to each seat by hand. Rich, sustainably sourced wood is hand-polished to a deep glow. Brilliantly polished chrome highlights the impeccable fit and elegant design of every element, down to the central analog timepiece. In every sense, an S-Class is crafted to reward your every sense.
Among the latest industry firsts from the S-Class is the optional SPLITVIEW front-seat entertainment system. Innovative, and exclusive, technology lets the car's high-resolution 8-inch LCD simultaneously display different images to the driver and front-seat passenger. So the passenger can enjoy a DVD movie with a wireless headset while the driver sees only the normal screens used during driving.
The COMAND® system makes advanced technology easy to enjoy, with a convenient central controller and 8-inch LCD widescreen. A 600-watt harman/kardon® surround sound system delivers Sirius® Satellite Radio, HD Radio™ stations, or your own music via iPod®, memory card, new Bluetooth® audio streaming, or a 7.2GB Music Register. Navigation features a 40GB hard drive, Zagat® Survey ratings and live Sirius Traffic™.
The optional Rear Seat Package brings first-class comfort to the second row. The outboard rear seats are heated and Active Ventilated. Each seat is also power-adjustable eight ways and features a 3-position memory. A 4-zone climate control system provides individual comfort settings, with the rear settings adjustable by either the driver or via a panel in the rear cabin.
The Mercedes-Benz mbrace® system can help you plan a trip, remember where you parked, handle an emergency, and with the mbrace® PLUS Package, enjoy 24-hour Concierge service. From your car, online or via the mbrace® Mobile App on your iPhone®, mbrace® integrates nearly 20 security, destination planning and convenience services. A complimentary 6-month trial subscription is included.
Add up the six engines of the 2012 S-Class and you'll count 54 cylinders, nine turbos and one electric motor. Choose any one, including the new S350 BlueTEC® clean diesel, the S400 HYBRID and the new twin-turbo V-8 S550, and you'll enjoy torque-rich response with every rev. And since their advanced technology delivers cleaner emissions and higher efficiency, you'll revel in responsibility, too.
The world's first 7-speed automatic transmission is renowned for its smooth, versatile character. And on the S350 BlueTEC® and S550, it's been re-engineered for even greater efficiency and response. And every S-Class features an elegant electronic selector plus paddle shifters that offer total control of gear changes without taking your hands from the steering wheel.
Two multi-talented air suspensions are offered on the S-Class. AIRMATIC® expertly balances sharp handling reflexes with a relaxing ride, while Active Body Control (ABC®, standard on the S600 and an S550 option), is arguably the most advanced full-active suspension in production. Both systems offer Sport modes, 4-wheel level control, and automatic lowering at higher speeds to enhance stability.
Large 4-wheel disc brakes with 4-piston calipers gripping perforated front rotors are backed by advanced adaptive braking technology. Features include Predictive Brake Priming, Automatic Brake Drying, Hill-Start Assist, and a HOLD feature. In addition, a torque-vectoring brake system enhances stability and control in corners by gentle selective braking of the inside rear wheel.
Since inventing the crumple zone, Mercedes-Benz engineers have spent decades advancing the body structure of their automobiles. With extensive use of high- and ultra-high strength steel, thousands of precise welds, and countless hours of development using powerful computers, scientific crash-testing and real-world investigation, the S-Class carries its occupants in a cocoon of advanced protection.
DISTRONIC PLUS® active cruise control adapts to traffic, automatically slowing or stopping until your path clears. Its radar-based PRE-SAFE® Brake can sense an impending collision and apply full braking. Active Blind Spot and Lane Keeping Assists can help alert you to unseen vehicles in the next lane, help warn you of drifting out of lane, and even help steer the car back if you disregard the alerts.
Standard on the new S350 BlueTEC® and optional on the S550, 4MATIC® all-wheel drive integrates our 4-wheel Electronic Traction System. 4ETS® continually redistributes the engine´s torque to the wheels with the best grip, even if that´s only one wheel. With a 45:55 front/rear torque split, the lightweight and compact 4MATIC® system enhances dry-road handling, too.
Review information provided by www.cars.com